Thursday, December 4, 2008

Sprint and the Common Man

I don't know if any of you have seen Sprint's new advertising campaign. In these ads, Sprint's CEO comes on camera and just chats about phones. I have found these ads absolutely hilarius, even though they aren't really meant to be. Dan Hesse made just under 4 million dollars last year at Sprint and he wasn't even the CEO. If he earns a comparable salary to Sprint's last CEO he will stand to earn ten times that all told. Still, watch him in this commercial. Here a guy who makes close to a thousand times what I make in a year is pretending to be just one of us. "Can you even believe they still call these things phones with all that they can do," as though the CEO of Sprint doesn't know how to work his blackberry. He's sitting in a diner, no suit, no tie, his sleeves rolled up, as if to say, "look at me. I'm a common man. I'm just like you. These are tough times, but I understand, because I'm like you. Pay no attention to my salary, or to the fact that while you are concerned about losing your house, I'm concerned about losing my yacht. Remeber me Dan Hesse, a common man." I think that's pretty funny.

No comments: