Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Limited Limitations of PR

Public Relations, although a very different discipline from Advertising, is another topic that is very near to my heart. Although my last PR Professor tried her best to ruin PR for me for life, I have battled my disillusionment, and am now even more appreciative of what good PR can do for an organization. In today's economy, I am even more convinced that good PR can do a lot to diminish the impact of the many crises that companies are facing. PR has a seemingly endless list of the benefits that it can bring. Still, even the best PR can't help some of the more boneheaded of companies.



Days after asking for $85 billion from the government, AIG planned to host an executive retreat in Monarch Beach, CA. Are you kidding me? SNL's response to this gaffe was paricularly hilarius. Still, an important aspect of PR is crisis management. AIG, Wachovia, and other companies in such dire straits need their management team to realize that in order for their PR people to have something to work with, they need to buckle down make some changes to start performing financially. PR Week discusses the damage that has been done to these companies, and the actions that must be taken from a PR perspective to help rebuild their companies image.

No comments: